Sunday, November 6, 2011

30 Days of Thanks - Day 5

Oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful! If you've no place to go, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Well. Maybe it's not snowing, but we are pretty consistently hanging out below 75 and have even made it down to the 40's. It's SWEATER weather people! The triple digit weather days are long gone for a few short months!

It's been quite a summer. Droughts, wild fire, plagues of mosquitoes, unrelenting heat.

I used to enjoyably mock Texan's whom piled on layers of fleece, wool and thermal the moment it dropped below 80 degrees. On a day in which Blackpool beach would be swarming with eager, pasty skinned Brits, the Texan's are raiding the closets for last Christmas's sweater and stalking the Target aisles for boots and winter hats.

I do however, sincerely and truly repent of this harsh judgement. For now, I am one of these sweater wearing people.

How eagerly I wake up in the morning, knowing that even though I might be a tad toasty, that I can actually wear a really cute scarf and sweater, put on some cute barely worn socks that have been worn maybe 4 times in as many years, and look forward to pumpkin pie and hot chocolate.

I have all these really cute sweaters and long sleeved tops that are dying to be worn. I refuse to miss my moment of opportunity.

It's because it's so hot ALL the time, that the moment we get a glimpse, of cool weather, we all suddenly go ' It's FALL! It's WINTER! It's time for CHRISTMAS'.

If you are British and reading this, please know that we have had 90 degree Christmas days here. Do you know how un-Christmassy that feels? You have a house full of snowmen and fake snow on the window, and it's hot enough to have a BBQ outside.

Indeed, I am even guilty of wearing sweaters when it is in the triple digits, because when you go into a store, they have the AC blasting so cold, that you'll catch your death of cold if you go in wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Ok, ok.... so what I am thankful for?

I am thankful for cold days in Texas. I am thankful that we've already had days in the 50's and that I have a small window of time, to feel, British again, and feel justified in making hotpot or oatmeal to warm up.

When you are in England, you dream of stepping outside and feeling warmth, not having to wear a coat. When you are in Texas, you dream of cozy cold days.

You know what else I am thankful for about this colder weather? Is that it has turned my thoughts, prayers and activities more towards Christmas preparation earlier than ever before.

I don't mean Christmas shopping, but preparing for advent. Planning times of family worship, gathering materials for our Jesse tree, reserving books at the library about St Nicholas and the Nativity.

I am preparing a Christmas curriculum, planning crafts, preparing activities to show Christ's love in our community.

I am thankful for cold weather, for turning my heart move towards Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment