Saturday, August 29, 2009

Shopping the Farmer's Markets

This morning we headed out bright and early to catch the farmers market. As we pulled up, we were all excited since a row of stalls is a rare site in a Texas city! It was a new experience for Esther also.

I first was drawn to the stall with Goat's cheese which was delicious, then some hand made soaps. After that we looked at the vegetables. It was so hard to choose since everything looked great. We settle for some peaches, pears, a big cantaloupe melon and some jalapenos.

Next, we headed out to the Ridgelea farmers market which is open all week. They have a wide variety there always, so I was drawn to ask some questions. Upon inquiring, I found that the grapes, strawberries and blueberries were not local but she told me what was. I also asked what of that was grown through sustainable methods but they were not sure.

Before checking out the preserves, we sat down for a bottle of Dublin Dr Pepper (if you haven't had it, you should! Its made just a few hours away from us with cane sugar, much tastier than the canned stuff!).

I was excited to find some raw honey at a not so inflated price and we also got some damson plum jam.

Overall it was a fun time! I have to admit though, I am looking forward to the time when I can spend some time on some sustainable pick your own farms or have my own patch! I cannot imagine the thrill of cooking my home grown produce. In the meantime, I am reading as much as I can to prepare!

1 comment:

  1. i've been meaning to shop at a farmer's market but haven't got guts... don't know if it's because it's not in a building, or if it's because i am picturing myself with all 3 kids with me... but glad to know that you had a great experience!

    ReplyDelete